Surprise your horses this holiday season with some delicious and nutritious horse treats.
Apple & Flax Horse Cookies
1 Cup Sweet Feed
2–3 Cups Wheat Bran
1 Cup Flax Seed
1 TSP Salt
4 Large Apples, Shredded
1 Cup Molasses
.5 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- Mix molasses, brown sugar, apples and applesauce in bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Gradually combine wet and dry ingredients together, only using enough of the wet ingredients to make a thick dough. Add more bran if necessary.
- Line cookie sheet with foil and spray with oil.
- Drop batter onto cookie sheet in tablespoon amounts. Flatten with a fork.
- Bake slowly at 300Â° F. for 1 hour, turn cookies over and continue to bake for another 45 minutes until thoroughly dried.
- Reduce heat if cookies begin to brown excessively or to burn.
Easy No Cook “Apple Snaps”
(Recipe originally by Holistic Hoof and Horse Care)
4 Cups Bran (Wheat or otherwise)
4 Cups Unsweetened Applesauce
- Mix ingredients together until batter is doughy
- Roll out batter with rolling pin
- Cut into squares or shapes
- Allow dough to dry (takes about 24 hours) and serve
1/3 Cup Oats
1/3 Cup Grain (plain)
1/3 Cup Molasses
1/3 Cup Flour
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees
- If you prefer, use food processor to chop Oats and Grain into a finer texture
- Mix together all ingredients except for peppermints.
- Form cookies using spoon/scoop/hands and place on a lined cookie sheet
- Take a peppermint and place it in the middle of each ball of the cookie dough, pressing down to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 21 minutes or until golden brown. May need to let tem dry out.